Summer is officially here June 21, which means most of you will be packing up the swimmies, surf boards and beach umbrellas to gear up for vacation. While you’re busy packing, remember to prepare your property for vacation too. There are many important security and property measures to take before traveling to your favorite location.
Be Safe, Not Sorry:
- Make your house look lived-in to avoid break-ins, like stopping the newspaper or asking a neighbor to pick up your mail.
- Check all locks on windows and doors and set the security system.
- Leave on a security light while turning off the remaining lights.
- Inform your credit card company that you will not be in town.
- Leave emergency contact info with a neighbor.
Prep Your Property for Vacay:
- Unplug small appliances and electrical devices.
- Make sure water valves are turned off to the sink and appliances, like the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Set the water heater to “vacation mode” so that it doesn’t run as much and saves money.
- Set the thermostat to 85 degrees, but no hotter to shield your furniture, plants and pets.
- Run your kitchen sink disposal with vinegar or lemon to remove foul scents.
- Take out the trash and dispose of perishable food.
Hopefully these few tips will help you in feeling at ease about leaving your home and allow you to fully enjoy this year’s vacation. If you have any property damage caused by water, fire, mold or storms, Call Paul! We’re available 24/7 for all of your restoration, reconstruction and remodeling needs.