Already this summer, parts of the U.S. have received record setting rainfall causing flooding to streets, commercial buildings and homes. Check out this flooding video on Weather.com in the south of California this past weekend! Have you thought about what you would do if flooding occurred in your region? Whether you’re in a car or are inside your house or office, knowing what to do if a flood hits may help you avoid damage and keep you safe from harm.
If there is a lot water on the street:
- If you lose traction in your tires, remove your foot off the accelerator until you are capable of steering the car again. Never brake!
- If your car goes into a fishtail spin, ease off the gas slowly. Do not brake unless your foot is already on the brake then remove it slowly. Steer into the opposite direction towards the skid.
- Avoid driving through a flooded roadway, no matter how shallow you think the water looks. There is no way to predict how deep the water is.
- To prevent a car accident, keep extra space between you and the car in front of you in case a driver brakes fast. While averaging 64 mph, one vehicle’s distance to a full stop is about 304 ft., or the length of an entire football field.
- Look at your tire pressure once per month. Tires inflated properly can save money with better gas mileage and help prevent crashes caused by failed tires.
If there is flooding inside your home or office:
- Follow evacuation protocol and call 911 if you experience any danger
- Try to secure your home before evacuating if it’s safe to do so
- Use at-home sandbags and towels inside of pipes
- Call your insurance company
- Call Paul!
Water damage restoration services provided by Paul Davis:
- 24/7 emergency services
- Water damage assessment, water extraction and removal
- Drying out affected areas of your home (including walls, carpet/padding, furniture)
- Cleaning and restoration of personal possessions (clothes, linens, books, documents, etc.)
- Mold and mildew remediation
- Locate and repair source of leaking water
- Insurance claim assistance
References: Weather.com | Smartmotorists.com | Driversedguru.com