Winter storms can hurt the St Paul area in unexpected ways – and cause serious damage to your home. To make sure you are prepared, Paul Davis Restoration of Greater St. Paul MN has a some advice for you to stay safe during the winter.
- Check outside your home for loose siding, shingles, and fence boards and make any necessary repairs as soon as possible. These items can easily blow off during storms.
- Inspect the trees around your home and have damaged or weak parts removed, especially those near buildings. To make sure large projects are handled safely, work with a tree care professional.
- Clear debris from gutters and downspouts so the drainage system can do its job. Downspouts should direct water at least 5’ away from your foundation. Adding a downspout extension is a simple fix for an area. Water draining under your home can cause mold, flooding, and can attract termites!
- Keep flashlights, camping lanterns, and/or headlamps in an easily accessible area if a power outage occurs. That means fresh batteries for everything, too.
- Purchase an emergency supply of food and water. This will help sustain your family in the middle of a heavy storm.
All of us at Paul Davis Restoration of Greater St. Paul MN encourage you, your family, and your home to be storm-ready at all times. Protect your family and home with these easy steps and sleep easier this winter.