June marks the official beginning of this hurricane season, and with that arrives the real danger of high winds. Every year, the United States experiences billions of dollars in damage from strong winds from localized storms, even in locations where hurricanes don’t happen. To help decrease the amount of damage a storm can inflict, there are certain things that St Paul homeowners can do:
- Look around the yard for items that can come loose in high winds and ensure that they are secured. This includes tools, toys, patio furniture, portable grills, and trash cans.
- Make sure gates are securely closed and repair all loose fence boards.
- Remove all weak branches or ones that are overhanging the roof.
- Repair all loose roof shutters, shingles, and siding.
- Make sure your garage door is secure and in good condition.