The holidays are here, which means Paul Davis Restoration of Greater St. Paul MN is looking forward to any exciting changes that will take place in 2015. Follow the steps below to improve your St Paul home’s energy efficiency in the coming year:
- Every month, check your furnace filters and clean or replace them when needed. By using high-quality pleated paper filters, you can filter out most allergens and small particulates. With a clean filter, your furnace won’t have to work as hard.
- Windows and doors can leak heat if they’re not sealed properly. Caulking around the exterior helps keep cold air and moisture out. Use a latex/acrylic caulk that’s flexible, waterproof, and can be painted to match your trim. You might also want to try weather stripping around the doors.
- If you have a fireplace with an open firebox, consider adding glass fireplace doors to prevent heat from escaping up the chimney. Special fireplace blankets are available that fit over the opening when the fireplace is not in use.
- Does your home have high ceilings? Ceiling fans aren’t just for summer – use a ceiling fan on a “winter” setting to distribute heat around the room, saving energy and making the space more comfortable.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat that turns temperatures down when not in use and automatically adjusts when you are home.
We hope you’ll incorporate some of these tips in your home this winter.Following them will help your home in St Paul become more comfortable. From all of us at Paul Davis Restoration of Greater St. Paul MN, enjoy!